Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Enchilada Experiement

So I have high blood pressure.
Tis true.
I'm also over weight.
Shocking but again...true.

I must change my diet and exercise.
I'm working on the changing of the diet first.

I sub to Taste of Home Healthy Cooking.

I found a redone recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas.

Figured, why not!

Super easy recipe:

4 cups cooked chicken, diced (I used less & I baked the chicken last night & diced it)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tsp. garlic salt
1 Tsp. ground cumin
12 flour tortillas (I used whole wheat...good choice!)

Sauce:
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1.5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1.3 cups reduced fat sour cream
2 cups shredded Mexican or Monterey Jack cheese (I used Mexican)
Chopped tomatoes are optional.
I opted for mild green chilis to put on top instead...Bobster...not a fan of the tomato (I do not know how I love that man because tomato is a hard limit (Total Fifty Shades reference).

Anywho:
1.  In bowl combine the chicken, chili powder, garlic salt & cumin.  Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of the tortilla (I eyeballed it).  Roll up & place seam side down in baking dish...make sure to cooking spray your dish.

2.  In a saucepan, whisk flour & broth until smooth.  Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 mins.  Reduce heat, stir in sour cream & cheese until melted.  Pour sauce over enchiladas, add more cheese.  It says to sprinkle the cheese but really...come on!

3.  Bake, uncovered, 20 mins at 350 degrees or until bubbly.  Top w/ tomatoes or chilis.

It will look like this when done:

The verdict from the fam:

Not bad! If you make again, we will eat it.

Verdict from me:   Not bad.  I'd make it again.  The sauce was great!!!!

So, tell me, what new food have you made recently?
Was it a hit?


0 comments: